At Brighton Family and Women’s clinic we are excited to offer a Lactation and Breastfeeding Support Service to existing and new patients.
The service is managed by GP Dr Kate Naylor and supported by Registered Midwife/Nurse Sancha O’Donoghue, both experienced, Internationally Certified Lactation Consultants.
Together Dr Kate and Sancha will complete a comprehensive assessment of breastfeeding issues, and provide individualised treatment, information and support to assist women and their families achieve their breastfeeding goals.
Our service offers:
- Antenatal information/support and lactation plan for pregnant women.
- Assistance with feeding issues from birth and beyond
- Full breastfeeding assessment including infant oral/craniofacial examination
- Tongue tie release only when assessed to be related to breastfeeding problems
- Treatment of breastfeeding problems including mastitis, thrush, nipple damage, nipple/breast infection, low supply, over supply, breast refusal and fussy infant
- Slow or low baby weight gain management
- Assistance with breastfeeding aids such as nipple shields and supply lines.
- Breast feeding plan
- Education on different methods of position and attachment
- Assistance with weaning and introduction of solids
- Assessment of postnatal mental health
- GP Management Plan
- GP Mental Health Plan
- Referral to Allied Health Professionals as required
Initial assessment and examination of you and your baby will be done by Dr Kate, which will form the basis of your Breastfeeding Plan. You will then be asked to feed your baby and our midwife Sancha will observe, allowing for correction of positioning and attachment. She will then explain your tailored breastfeeding plan and you will be provided with a written copy to take home.
Dr Kate Naylor
MB BS, FRACGP, IBCLC
Midwife Lactation Consultant
RN, RM, IBLCE
Dr Kate and Sancha O’Donoghue are both professional members of the Australian Breastfeeding Association and LCANZ.
Please come prepared to feed your baby during the appointment and please bring any aids that you are currently using with you.
Further appointments will be booked if required and all patients will receive a follow up phone call for further support.
The cost of the initial Lactation Service will be $350, billed on the day.
This includes a follow-up phone call from midwife Sancha the week after your visit, or alternatively you can come into the clinic and see Sancha with your baby. The time allowed for the followup is 1/2 hour, any longer will be charged accordingly.
If you and the baby are eligible for Medicare rebates, the return will be $110.40 – $145.60 depending on the length of doctors visit. There is no medicare rebate for the nurse component of this service.
You will be out of pocket between $ 204.40 – $239.60.
*Please note some health care funds will give a rebate for this service. Please check with your health insurer for clarification. In particular, Medibank Private recognises the value of an Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) and Sancha is able to offer you a receipt (with her provider number details) with which you can claim a rebate.
** If you require followup with Dr Kate, you will be asked to rebook. This will incur further charges, which will also attract medicare rebates.
Please call the clinic at 9592 0744 if you have any questions about this service.