At Brighton Family and Women’s clinic we are excited to offer a Lactation and Breastfeeding Support Service to existing and new patients.
The service is managed by GP Dr Kate Naylor and supported by Registered Midwife/Nurse Sancha O’Donoghue, both experienced, Internationally Certified Lactation Consultants.
Together Dr Kate and Sancha will complete a comprehensive assessment of breastfeeding issues, and provide individualised treatment, information and support to assist women and their families achieve their breastfeeding goals.
Our service offers:
- Antenatal information/support and lactation plan for pregnant women.
- Assistance with feeding issues from birth and beyond
- Full breastfeeding assessment including infant oral/craniofacial examination
- Tongue tie release only when assessed to be related to breastfeeding problems
- Treatment of breastfeeding problems including mastitis, thrush, nipple damage, nipple/breast infection, low supply, over supply, breast refusal and fussy infant
- Slow or low baby weight gain management
- Assistance with breastfeeding aids such as nipple shields and supply lines.
- Breast feeding plan
- Education on different methods of position and attachment
- Assistance with weaning and introduction of solids
- Assessment of postnatal mental health
- GP Management Plan
- GP Mental Health Plan
- Referral to Allied Health Professionals as required
Initial assessment and examination of you and your baby will be done by Dr Kate, which will form the basis of your Breastfeeding Plan. You will then be asked to feed your baby and our midwife Sancha will observe, allowing for correction of positioning and attachment. She will then explain your tailored breastfeeding plan and you will be provided with a written copy to take home.
Dr Kate Naylor
MB BS, FRACGP, IBCLC
Midwife Lactation Consultant
RN, RM, IBLCE
Dr Kate and Sancha O’Donoghue are both professional members of the Australian Breastfeeding Association and LCANZ.
Please come prepared to feed your baby during the appointment and please bring any aids that you are currently using with you.
Further appointments will be booked if required and all patients will receive a follow up phone call for further support.
The cost of the initial appointment is $350 with Medicare and possible private health fund rebates available (see details below). This initial fee covers the cost of three consultations, the first which involves a 45 minute appointment with Dr Kate Naylor who will preform a thorough assessment of yourself and your baby, followed by another 45 minute appointment with Midwife/Lactation Consultant Sancha O’Donoghue. The third appointment, which is covered in this initial fee, is within 14 days of the first visit and is with Sancha to ensure your management plan is effective and feeding goals are being met. If for some reason you are unable to attend this third follow up appointment, a phone call service is available. The time allowed for this third consultation is half an hour. Should you require longer, this will be charged accordingly.
If you and your baby are eligible for Medicare rebates, the return will be $110 – $145.60. You will be out of pocket $204.40 – $239.60, however some health care funds will give a rebate for this service in addition to your Medicare rebate as they recognise the value of an Internationally Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC). Please ask at reception for a receipt with Sancha’s provider number details and check with your own private health insurer.
Please call the clinic at 9592 0744 if you have any questions about this service.